Benalla Migrant Camp 1949-1967

Migrant Stories

Prentki Family 23 24 25 26 27 23Agnes (left) and Irene Prentki in Polish National Costume, approx. 1957 with unknown woman who may possibly be Krystyna Krypciak24Fr Wosniczek with children in front of Nissen Hut, at Birthday party. Helena Molenda is on the very right, Lila and Agnes Prentki are second and third from the left, and Irena Buczek is the little girl in front of Fr Wosniczek25Christine (Krista) Ryan (nee Romaniszyn) and her father Michael holding her hand, are the second and third person from the left. All are standing in front of a Nissen Hut, unknown person at back 26Catholic Priest to the Camp, Father Feliks Wosniczek and children. 27Agnes' father, Edmund holding Agnes, and Irene at right Agnes' mother Emilia and her father Edmund were both born in Poland. Her older sister Irene (Murray) was born in Germany. The Prentkis travelled to Australia by ship from Naples in Italy, via the Suez Canal. Agnes' family arrived in Australia in 1948 and went straight to Bonegilla, where Agnes' father worked at the Bonegilla Pine Plantation for 2 years to work off his assisted migration scheme labour contract. Her family then arrived at the Benalla Migrant Camp in 1950. Agnes is a camp baby, born at Benalla Migrant Camp hospital in 1951. The family stayed in the camp until sometime in 1955, when they had earned enough money to move out into their own house in Benalla.

The Pruks Family, Mrs Jenny Pruks, Inge, Mart and Ruth Pruks. 1952-1966. (sent in via email March 2020)

Our family came to the Benalla Migrant Camp in 1952, but we had journeyed a long way to get there. My mother Jenny Pruks and father Albert Pruks fled war-torn Estonia in 1944.  We travelled across Europe by night to avoid the shells and the bombs which fell continually during the day and we eventually arrived in Germany. We were shunted around several Displaced Persons camps until we settled for some time in the German town of Geislingen. This is where my young brother Mart was born, but when he was barely 5 months old, our father died, leaving us destitute and alone.  Our mother was faced with a desolate and hopeless future, having left her beloved family in Estonia with no possibility of ever seeing them again. Sixty years later, Inge Pruks is featured in a documentary about Estonians in Geislingen, Coming Home Soon, (2018), a film directed by Helga Merits.

We left Germany to sail to Australia in the ship called the Anna Salen. My mother, brother Mart and I arrived in Fremantle on New Year’s Eve 1950. The authorities did not allow us to disembark until the next day because it appears that, to suit their statistics, they wanted the migrant numbers to appear as arrivals in 1951. So our first steps on Australian soil were on 1st January 1951. We were transported to the migrant camp at Northam, where we stayed for a year. Conditions were primitive, we had never seen so many flies, and the heat was unbearable. We lived in unlined Nissen huts which had only blankets hanging from the ceiling to divide the space into separate ‘rooms’. I remember lying on a top bunk and reading the stamp on the corrugated iron of the hut: Lysaght Orb Australia. They were the first English words I learnt, and I would say them over and over, frontwards and backwards, trying to make sense of them. Of course they are a brand of corrugated iron. I was seven years old and my brother was two.

After a year, we were again moved off to another destination on the other side of Australia. I remember the long train trip across the Nullarbor, the stoppages in the desert landscape, where people would throw loaves of white bread out of the window towards the Aborigines who were waiting patiently nearby, and they in turn would throw us wooden carved figurines of animals such as the kangaroo or the koala. It took 5 days to cross Australia in those days, and our journey was almost over.

When we arrived in Benalla it was good to have a room to call our own. It was much better than the hanging blankets of Northam. We soon settled into the daily life of the Benalla Migrant Camp and we stayed there until it closed in 1967.

My mother worked hard at many jobs, saving her meagre earnings with the hope that one day we could buy a house in Melbourne. In our family education has always been a priority and my mother knew that sooner or later her children would have to leave Benalla to go and study in Melbourne. There were not many Estonians in Benalla, and what my mother missed most of all was the chance to join an Estonian choir. Choir singing is a valued part of Estonian culture and every town and village has its choir.  So singing was very important to our mother, and the first thing she did when we moved to Melbourne was to join the choir in Brunswick. But even in Benalla I would often hear her soprano voice rising above the soapsuds as she did the washing.

Benalla offered me a chance to follow my musical education. I was able to learn the piano from Miss Eunice Finley who lived on the other side of town in Benalla. At first, because we had very little money, I would have a lesson only every second week, on Saturday afternoons when most of my friends headed off to the local cinema. But gradually, as I began studying more seriously for the AMEB exams I was able to attend every week. I practiced on a rickety old piano at the Camp. The keys would stick and I would have to stop to pull them up as my fingers flew over my scales. But I loved playing and successfully completed all my exams to the final Grade 7. I have passed on my love of music to my two sons who are now both musicians.

I can’t say that I ever felt discriminated against at school because I was a migrant. I loved primary school at the Camp, and soon looked forward to life at Benalla High School. At first there used to be a bus which took us to the high school. But when that stopped we had to walk, and it was quite a long way. I had no money for a bicycle, but one of my favourite teachers at the high school, Miss Jewell, who was my maths teacher, gave me her own bicycle when she bought a new one for herself. From then on I was mobile and getting around was easy. My other favourite teacher was my French teacher, Miss Dorothy Milne. I loved French and a lady at the camp, Mrs Lewinski, would kindly give me her time to help me read French fairy tales. I later learnt from her son Oleg that she went on to be a teacher after leaving Benalla. I myself ended up doing French Honours at Monash University, gaining a French Government Scholarship to continue my studies in literature and film at the University of Grenoble (France) and the Sorbonne (Paris).

Life at the migrant camp was rich with all sorts of activities. It was a safe environment and we could play outside until after dark. My best friend was Nelda Gravitis and we would do everything together. We read Enid Blyton together. We even wrote a novel together, with each one contributing alternating chapters. We would walk to the nearby First Bridge to gather blackberries, or make wire nets to catch yabbies in the creek. In Spring we would pick wild daffodils and jonquils and present them proudly to our mothers. We learnt how to deal with leeches at Stones, the local swimming hole, and had fun swinging on the ropes someone had attached to the trees surrounding the waterhole. We knew how to mend a puncture in our bicycle tyres, and if we needed anything, there was always an older friend to help us.

We invented complicated games throwing a simple tennis ball against the big garage doors, and when the rains came we would gather tadpoles into jars and watch them develop. We were all multilingual by the time we were teenagers, as we learnt each other’s languages through osmosis because we all lived in such close proximity and heard our mothers calling us or talking to us in their different languages. I knew instinctively what Nelda’s mother was saying to her in Latvian, even though I had never had any lessons in Latvian. And Nelda was the same with my native Estonian. The migrant kids won all the prizes in the regional French competitions because foreign languages were so natural to us.

Life was never boring at the migrant camp as there was always so much to do and so many friends to play with. We were a mini United Nations but our differences never got in the way. I feel I was fortunate to spend such a happy childhood after the trauma of World War II, privileged to enjoy the freedom and possibilities offered by the Australian Government to us ‘New Australians’ living in the Migrant Accommodation Centre in Benalla.

But my story is not complete without the arrival of my little sister Ruth, who has her own story to tell.


Ruth Pruks  12  May 1953 to 1966


My mother met my father at an event in Benalla, possibly one of the dances held in the Cinema Hall in the Benalla Migrant Camp. My father did not live with us.

I was born in the Benalla Bush Hospital, just across the road from the Benalla Migrant Accommodation Centre - a first generation Aussie!

My mother recalled a visit from a Social Worker asking her if she would like to put me up for adoption as in 1953 it was considered a social embarrassment to have a child born out of wedlock.            But my mother was adamant she would never give me away.

 When I recounted my story about living in a migrant camp to a work colleague she was astonished  to hear that my family had lived in one for 14 years. Why so long? Well it was easier to leave the Camp if you had a husband who was the bread winner than it was to be a single mother with 3 children and little or no income. Generally, two parent families left the camp as soon as the man of the house had secured permanent employment, single mothers and widows stayed much longer.

The best thing about growing up in the Benalla Migrant Camp was that you could always find someone to play with. There would be impromptu games of “British Bulldog” or tin hidey, or other    inventive games such as “Klimpi” or “Lands” and marbles.  Ball games would be played against the wall of the large utility garage near the entrance of the Camp. The Creative Leisure Centre run by Mr Van der Staal provided many activities – ping pong, hookey, painting, crafts, musical productions, plays –my brother Mart was one of the three wise men, Melchior in the Christmas Nativity play and he also played mouth organ in a group. I myself acted as a cowboy complete with moustache and dangerous rifle.  We had a lot of fun.

The Benalla Aerodrome teachers were Mrs Spry Grades 1 & 2 , Miss Helen Cook Grades 3 and 4 and  Mr Spry Grades 5 & 6 in 1962. Elaine Spry, their daughter, would sometimes read story books out loud to us. Stories like “Ping the Duck”, “Little Black Sambo” and “Babar the Elephant” kept us enthralled.  Mrs Spry taught sewing which I detested.  Most families had the radio, and this too  opened the world to us. We were all united in our love of serials, and at 6 o’clock we would rush home to the sounds of ‘Tarzan, King of the Apes’ blaring out of many a hut. There was also “Kokoda Trail” and the hilarious “Yes, What!” with Greenbottle and his team. Television only came later and we would crowd around a shop window in the town to watch whatever channel was broadcasting. The one family that had TV was always popular. If you happened to pass by and see a blue light flickering inside you would tap on their window and call “Could I come and watch TV?” The answer would always be “Yes come in!” The little room would be crowded with children sitting wherever there was space.


I played my part in heating the school. The classrooms had a large cast iron stove near the front of the room which was the only heating the classrooms had. Early each morning in winter my brother Marty and I would help our mother by setting the fires in the stoves while she dusted.  We became quite expert at setting the fires, scrunching up bits of newspaper and carefully laying down kindling wood before placing the heavier burning wood on top so it was ready for the teacher to light before the start of class each day.

In 1963 the Benalla Aerodrome School closed and I then attended Benalla East Primary School to complete Grade 6. The following year I started at Benalla High School.

The Migrant Camp also had a library which was run by Mrs Tippett.  She was my godmother and I like to think that it was she who instilled a love a libraries and books in me.

On your birthday your name would be called out over the Public address system. “Would Ruth Pruks come to the Admin Office”. This was really exciting!   You would then be presented with the gift of a book.  The label inside the cover named   R.U. Bain as the Director of Benalla Holding Centre and The Department of Immigration, Holding Centre, Benalla was responsible for providing the books as gifts.

The Canteen was run by Mr Varnik, my godfather. His family was Estonian which gave my mother an opportunity to speak her native language otherwise she would speak German to her other friends.   The majority of families were  Polish, German or Latvian. One family had come from Denmark.  It was easy to pick up phrases uttered by irate mothers…   “Hotch tu domu!”  (Come home!) was a Polish phrase I got to know.  I also knew a smattering of German as my best friend was of German/Polish background.

On one of my visits to the Canteen, Mr Varnik asked me if I had collected all the bottle tops needed to spell “I Love Tarax” for a competition I wanted to enter. “I have all of them except the T”,  I said. He went into the storeroom and came out with a box.  “Here, take this.”  It was a Brownie camera! The competition’s prize! Thanks to Mr Varnik’s kindness I had a camera that I could use to take family photographs, some of which are attached to this story. My brother had a Box Brownie camera that he had bought with the money he earned from his paper boy round and that was our first camera which we used to record our family.

What a thrill it was when my brother gave me his bike. Instead of walking everywhere I could ride! We rode our bikes to Casey’s Weir, about 6 miles out of Benalla. My friend Anna and I would ride along the Hume Highway searching the verges for empty lemonade bottles that had been thrown out of car windows by long distance travellers on their way to Sydney or elsewhere. We would take the empty bottles and cash them in at the local Milk Bar. Those were the days when Victoria had a bottle deposit scheme. Pretty soon we’d have enough money to buy a Two-in-One ice cream or a Choc Wedge from the Canteen, or even go to the Saturday matinee movie in Benalla.

When the ‘gurki lady’ visited the camp I would rush home to ask my mother for sixpence so I could buy one of those famous pickled cucumbers.  I still remember the welcome sight of the old pram the lady would push around the camp. It contained two white enamel buckets filled to the brim with cucumbers.  One fat cucumber would fit into a mug, which was then topped up with delicious brine.

In autumn we would scour the Benalla Aerodrome for mushrooms and bring them home by the bucket load. Our mother would cook them on a Primus stove at home and turn them into a delicious    creamy sauce.  

Living in the country gave us other opportunities. We would spend the day by the river, swimming or catching yabbies, or we would frequent one of the farms and be exposed to another way of life. Horse riding, feeding chickens, a calf sucking at your fingers in a bucket of milk, seeing  a horse get broken in, chasing mice out of the feed bins – these are  all  vivid memories for me.

 We children had freedom to go where ever our adventurous spirits wanted to go, We developed self- reliance, independence and resilience along the way. All in all, I had a wonderful time living in the Benalla Migrant Camp.   


Radzic/Patjens Family

What Wally (Ewald) Patjens told me (Sabine Smyth) in September 2013 :

"My father died in the war, and my mother Mariechen Patjens married a Yugoslav, Svetorzar Radzic whilst she was a refugee in Germany. They migrated to Australia in 1950, for a new life and a new beginning. We left from Germany on the migrant ship 'General Heinzelmann". My sister Ingrid was born in Germany. My youngest sister Christina was later born at the Benalla camp.

I was very young but I remember the food stop in Seymour after we arrived in Australia and went on a train. When we arrived in Bonegilla, we were registered, then transferred to Benalla.

I remember little of life at the camp. I have lasting memories though of the sense of community. We have stayed friends with the Kaladzic Family who built near us, after we left the camp. I also remember the Moriartys; they were friendly Benalla locals and took us for drives, to picnics and to Yarrawonga. Karin Salkowski (Wally’s sister, nee Patjens-Radzic) adds that: Our parents did not divulge a lot about their time at the camp and now, our memories are fading.

Emailed to Sabine Smyth 26/4/2014 Benalla Migrant Camp Stay : February 1951 to February 1953 Family : Edward, Emilie and Karin SALWEROWICZ My first recollection of my time at Benalla is a bit fragmented. I remember starting school there and enjoyed it very much, I broke my arm and spent time at the Benalla Hospital and to this day I can still smell the ether that was used. It was mostly Mum and I, as dad had to work wherever he was sent and a lot of the time he wasn’t with us. That made it very difficult for Mum, and I don’t remember her being very happy there, she felt very isolated and missed her family dreadfully. I cannot even begin to imagine what life must have been like, I guess there was the excitement of a new life but also the sadness of leaving loved ones behind. Hopefully this gives you some insight into our life. Regards Karin Smith Siblings Eddie Salwe (formerly Salwerowicz and Helga Salwe (nee Salwerowicz) )and half-sister Karin Smith (nee Salwerowicz) all visited the exhibition in 2013. This is their family's story as told by Eddie. "My mother was Emilie Salwerowicz who is German and my father was Edward Salwerowicz who was Polish. They arrived in Australia in December 1950 on 'The Protea' into Port Melbourne. My parents and older sister Karin were taken directly to Bonegilla before being moved to Benalla. Whilst I do not know the date we arrived at the Benalla Camp my sister Karin is showing in the school register as number 278 on 1. March 1951 and finishing to go to Tullamarine in 1953. My parents became Australian citizens in 1966 and at that time shortened the name to Salwe.

SANDERS family:

  • Tony (Antonius) Wilhelmus Johannes Sanders 1923-2012
  • Liz (Elizabeth) Theodora Sanders- van Stein 1925-2019
  • Ellen (Eleonora) Johanna Maria 1956-
  • Margie (Margaretha) Elizabeth Maria 1958-
  • COUNTRY of ORIGIN: Holland September 1962-April 1963

Our journey:
22 August 1962: Left country of origin – Holland
25 August 1962: Arrived Bonegilla
14 September 1962: Arrived Benalla because Tony got a job as storeman there
12 April 1963: rented a house in Shepparton as both Liz and Tony found work in the Mooroopna Base Hospital.

Our story: compiled by Liz in 1990

Why did you come to Australia?
After World War 2, Holland was devastated and many Dutch people left to work in Indonesia. We met and married there and lived there for about seven years from approximately 1950. Tony managed various branches of Hagemeyer, (a Dutch import-export company), around Indonesia. Liz was a medical technologist in Djakarta and later at the Institute of Pasteur in Bandung. Their first daughter, Ellen, was born in Djakarta in 1956. Indonesia wanted their independence from the Dutch and Liz, pregnant with their second daughter, left with Ellen for Holland on Christmas Day 1957. Tony followed two months later. Margie was born in Holland in June 1958. Tony was sent to Dutch New Guinea by Hagemeyer in July. Liz and their two daughters followed in October. In January 1962, Indonesia laid claim to Dutch New Guinea (now called West Papua) and we had to return to Holland. However we felt stranded there after twelve years away in the tropics and it wasn’t long before Australia beckoned. We successfully applied under the Netherlands Australia Migration Agreement. We had heard that there was work in Victoria.

How did you travel?
We flew with KLM from Amsterdam to Sydney via Hollandia (now Jayapura) in Dutch new Guinea, arriving on Tony’s 39th birthday on 25 August 1962. We travelled by train from Sydney to Bonegilla. Ellen remembers the journey as being very cold. The train had provided heated blocks on which to warm your feet!

First impressions?
A wide open country. Australians seemed very friendly and easy going with a relaxed life style.

Did you have any fears?
Liz could not remember any fears…only hopes…that they could find work and could live happily in Australia.

Memories of the camp? Written by Liz in 1990.
‘We felt happy in our Nissan hut in Bonegilla, at last we were on ourselves again. We stayed there for two weeks, from 25/08/62 to 14/09/62, while Tony tried to get a job. It was not easy to find good jobs as there was a recession in Australia. This posed a problem for him as he had had good jobs in both Indonesia and Dutch New Guinea. When he was offered work as a storeman in the Benalla Migrant Centre, he accepted that. Here we got a Nissan hut with three rooms and a bathroom. Ellen went to the school of the centre, to the first grade and Margie went to kindergarten. One thing Ellen remembers is her first taste of a peach…how the skin stuck in her throat. She has rarely eaten another peach after that, even one that is peeled! They learned to speak English in no time. I had taken a correspondence course in English when we lived in Dutch New Guinea and, as I could also speak a number of other languages, I found work as an interpreter in the medical centre (Wieviel schmutzige Hosen macht das Baby in der Nacht). Later I worked as an office cleaner and a distributor of food in the kitchen. Tony worked in the store with a German, George. We bought a maroon-coloured Volkswagen from 1958 for 450 pounds ($900). We made many drives in it in the country. Ellen remembers a drive to Tatong and while walking in the bush, bending to pick up what she thought was a garden hose…which was of course…a snake!

I paid a visit to the manager of the Benalla Hospital, Mr French. Could he help me find a job in my profession, medical technologist? He introduced me to Dr. Drury-White, the pathologist of Wangaratta. Yes, she could help, but also Tony should also have a job then in Wangaratta. One day, the office of the centre had good news: Mooroopna Base Hospital needed a hospital scientist. All four of us travelled to Mooroopna, in the Volkswagen. Dr. Elvin, the manager of the hospital, took me to pathology, to Dr. Norman Young, the pathologist. He gave me a part-time job and I did not have to go on-call, because of our small children. My wages were 21 pounds ($42) per week! Dr. Elvin introduced us to Mr. Harry Seydel, a Dutchman, who helped us in many ways. His home stood open for us and his wife, Roel, was also very friendly and helpful. Mr. Dick Frost, a friend of the Seydel’s, offered Tony a job in the just opened new laundry of the Mooroopna Base Hospital for 16 pound 12 shillings ($32) per week. We both had jobs, but no house yet! We intended to buy a house and looked in several homes, but decided to have a house built and Harry Seydel took us to a wide open space, on the right side of St. Mary’s church, and there we bought a block of land for 425 pounds ($850!). There were no roads yet, there was nothing, we were the first to build there in the Woods Estate, except for Pinner’s house near the tennis court and Monk’s house on the Midland Highway. We rented a house in 5 Maple St, Shepparton for 7 pounds per week and we would live there while our house was being built in Emma Street. We returned to Benalla and started buying beds, mattresses, sheets, blankets, pillows for 110 pounds. I just want to mention Ellen and her progress at the school in the migrant centre: when the school holidays started in December, Ellen had only been in the first grade for three months, bust as she was doing very well and we promised to help her, she was allowed to go over to the second grade! Ellen had made a dictionary for herself!

On April 12, 1963, we said goodbye to the Benalla Migrant Centre and moved to Shepparton, to Maple Street, where we felt like normal people again. It was Easter and we had a lovely time! We bought a second-hand radiogram, the first thing we bought except for the Volkswagen. Also our possessions from New Guinea arrived, with some breakage! The foundations for our house were laid. The house cost 4700 pounds and we got a loan of 3000 pounds and monthly we paid 30 pounds off. We did not know it yet, but in 8 years’ time, we would have paid for the house and it would be ours. We moved in on Friday September 13, 1963. Our new life in Australia began! And in 1964, there was a new addition to our family, Sharon Gail, our third daughter, was born in Mooroopna. Three daughters born on three different continents!’

What became of the family?
Ellen became a teacher of Chemistry, Science, Maths, ESL and a teacher of the Deaf. She later worked in Disability Policy in the university sector in Melbourne and Nottingham, England.
Margie is a General Practitioner.
Sharon is also an ESL teacher.
There are 5 grandchildren: two are doctors and one is a pharmacist. The other two are still studying.

Did you ever regret migrating? Written by Liz in 1990.
‘Never! We became happy Australians. Now being retired, we do look back and feel that we did the right thing 28 years ago. Australia has been good to us and we feel happy here. As for our children, Ellen, Margie and Sharon, wherever they will be and whatever lives they will have, they will always have kind feelings towards this country, in which they grew up. This country, their fatherland.’

Savickas Story

“My parents Bronius and Dominika Savickas left Lithuania in 1944. They spent three months in Poland and six months in Gratz, Austria, in camps. Then they ended up in Wangen, Germany. I was born there in September 1945 and named Romuald Paul Savickas. My mother worked as a dentist in a clinic at the railway station.

In 1949 the family were resettled to Australia and arrived here after a voyage on migration ship SS Skaugum. On first arriving in Australia they were sent to a camp in Cowra NSW  in 1949. They were then, still 1949, transferred to the camp in Benalla where they stayed until 1953, four years. Paul was a child of four years when he entered the camp and eight when he left. He says the time in the migrant camp is one of the most defining experiences in his life.

"After all the turmoil of the war in my parents’ generation and the rather long transition into normalcy for them, I ended up as the beneficiary of their sacrifice. Life has been good to me."

"In 1953, while I was still in the camp, I saw the film Peter Pan in the hall/movie theatre there. It was the first movie I had ever seen and seeing it made a vivid impression. (...) There were just these simple pleasures for the kids in the camp, like going to movies."

In the Migrant Camp Paul's mother worked as assistant to the supervisor (who was Polish). Paul says: “My father first worked for the government to repay our passage. He then bought a truck and used it to carry firewood from NSW to Melbourne."

In 1953, the family moved to Melbourne when he was 8. In 1957 the Savickas family moved to the United States, changed their name to Stevens as part of US Naturalisation. Paul now lives in Redmond, WA, USA. Through all those years, Paul has kept his mother's dentistry tools as well as her drill.

Information was exchanged between Paul Stevens and Sabine Smyth in several emails, then collated as above by Sabine, which required some editing.


Paul came to the November 2017 Benalla Migrant Camp Reunion (50 Years On) and brought his mother’s tools and drill which he donated to the camp on this occasion.

Christine Gruzewski (nee Schaller) Born 18/6/1942 Country of Origin Germany (former East) Year of Arrival in Australia 1955 We were driven from our home in Zeulenrode near Tuebingen in East Germany during World War 2. I, Christine Schaller and my parents Margarethe and Ernst Schaller, my older sister Ingrid and her youngest child Gerlinde (3 yrs) had already lived in two camps in Germany before we arrived in Australia in 1955. I remember seeing a sign in the Refugee Camp promoting Australia as the 'Land in the sun.' After the war, we came here to make a new start. My father was a fitter and turner, an occupation Australia was looking for. I remember arriving at Bonegilla first and then being transferred to Benalla, still in 1955, after my father got a job at Renold's Chains. 'My father was fully qualified, and had done his apprenticeship with Zeiss (a very well regarded German company) but his qualifications were not recognised. He did skilled work but was only paid labourer's wages. It seemed unfair. But my father said, 'We are in a foreign country, we've got to play to their rules. ' But after working for a while and showing his skill, he stood his ground and demanded a better salary. It was winter when we arrived at the camp and I remember walking up to our hut on wooden planks, because the ground had turned to mush after a recent flood. The camp was very basic and my mother really suffered from the bed bugs. Her whole arms swelled up from the bites and initially the camp management did not do much about it. There was an inspector from Canberra visiting one day and my mother went straight up to him and held her arms in his face and showed him the dead bed bugs in a match box; after that the huts were fumigated properly and things got a bit better. We could not get out of the camp quickly enough though. We probably only stayed 6 months or so. We were absolutely freezing in our draughty, unlined huts. The communal showers were out in the open; a long way away from the sleeping huts and then there was no heating to warm us up either. There were no power points in the huts, so most people would unscrew the light bulb and wire up electric strip heaters. Those huts were 'alight' from one end to the other! I cannot remember the number of our hut, but we were in the row behind the canteen. It could get really rough at the camp - working fathers were away for weeks on end and when they came back, fights and drunkenness were the order of the day. Benalla has been good to us, but people were quite ignorant in the early years. Migrants, especially those without any English, were considered second class citizens. I remember my father being disgusted at the wealthy local farmers' wives who would seek out German cleaning ladies (like my mother) for their thoroughness, but would then not let my mother use the toilet she was cleaning. My father got particularly defiant when one local woman asked my mother to accompany them on their holiday to the beach house at Mornington Peninsula for three weeks, to cook and clean, but then tried to barter down my mother's salary by half because they could not 'afford it'. All their children were at boarding school you see, and this was meant to explain why money was tight. She came to our door to talk to my mother, but my father pushed to the front and told her that if they could not afford it perhaps they should not employ a cleaning lady and slammed the door in her face!' I worked at Latoof and Calill for a while. Those sewing machines were big industrial ones and if you were no good at operating them, you got the sack straight away. The company would just go back to Bonegilla and get a new lot of workers. One of my friends once went to complain to the union man about something, so the union man went straight to management and told on her, and she got the sack too. It was all very strange, and we never had much confidence in the Australian Unions after that. One of my friends started her first business at the camp, 'Hilde's Hairdressing'. She was a fully qualified hairdresser but had to go back to an Australian Hairdressing College to get a new qualification. I went back to camp to Hilde's Hairdressing for a while, until she started up her own salon in Nunn Street. I also worked at the Cosy Cafe in Bridge Street until we started George's Coffee Lounge. I met my husband Georg at the camp. He had long moved out with his family when we got there, but he would come back there to socialise.

Semiotas Story via Jackie Semiotas (Sam Semiotas’ wife, Sam is now deceased) Email 12/10/2017 (I cut and pasted from several emails) About the Photo :It is of Sam Semiotas and unknown child circa early 1950’s.  I would say it was Augustinus, Elana and Skirmantas Semiotas who lived at the camp in 1952-1953. Sam’s sister Joanne Heywood seems to think the family were in the camp for about a year. Sam never talked about that time in his life as he was only about 3 or 4. I guess he may not have remembered it.

I interviewed Regina Sidorczuk at 7 Mitchell Street Benalla on Sunday March 8th 2015 Stanislawa Sidorczuk, originally from Poland (near Lublin) left a German Displaced Persons Camp and travelled to Australia on the MS Skaubryn in 1951. She was at Greta Migrant Centre from 1951 to 1960 and during this time struck up a friendship with Mrs Teresa Banaszczyk. The authorities told the people in Greta camp that it was closing and that they had to be placed elsewhere. The Camp officials said that Stanislawa was to go to Adelaide as they could get her work but for this to happen her three children would be placed at St Stanislaus Home, Woodside S.A. so she could start life ‘as a single woman’. She said ‘No’. According to Regina her mum was a ‘stubborn, obstinate woman who just wanted to keep her family together’. Mrs Teresa Banaszczyk (4) and Mum (3) banded together and left for Benalla as they wanted to stay with their children. She met Mrs Bragiel (2) on the train to Benalla; they became life-long friends. There was another family by the name of Kowalski (2) who ended up going to Adelaide after spending a short time in Benalla camp, also there was a woman who we called Tante, she always dressed in black and wandered the camp at night, she lost all her family in the war. We arrived at Benalla Migrant Camp on January 8th 1960 and left for Sydney seven years later on 10th November 1967. About the families’ time at the camp Regina says: The camp was our life, it was like a babysitter, we children felt safe and enjoyed our freedom and friendships. Regina attended Benalla Migrant Camp School until it closed at the end of 1963, and she said that fortunate for her 1964 was her first year at Benalla High school; the younger kids were sent to attend the Benalla East Public school. Regina said : ‘’Mum worked at Renold Chains and because we walked to the high school, Mum (who loved sewing) swapped her sewing machine against a bicycle so I could ride to school. There was a lot of bartering done amongst the adults.” “Mum did not like the camp, as a person had no privacy, and everyone knew your business. The rooms were very small and you could hear through the thin walls plus there was nothing to help keep the heat out in the summer and the cold in the winter.” We would have breakfast in our rooms as Mum cooked things on a kerosene cooker – things like scrambled eggs and polish sausage. Occasionally she would bring us food from the Camp kitchen and heat it up for us but lunch and dinner was eaten at the Mess hall. The long-timers became friends and treated each other as family. The single parents with children stayed on in the camp while couples came and left all the time, to start their new life in Australia. Recorded by Sabine Smyth Checked by Regina 4th Nov 2015

Sleinis Story

Sent in by Gerda Kelly (nee Sleinis) after editing Sabine Smyth’s draft, via email in late 2012.

Milda and Janis Sleinis emigrated to Australia from Latvia after war and hardship. They spent some time in camps in Germany and finally left a camp in Flensburg to travel to Australia on the migrant ship Skaugum, departing from Naples in Italy.

They travelled there in cattle wagons in 1949 with their daughter Gerda and son Edgar. Zanis chose Australia ahead of Canada, because of the warm weather and mild winters. And Australia accepted the Sleinis family as refugees which was important to be able to get your assisted immigration ticket.

The family arrived at Melbourne, registered in Bonegilla, then transferred to Benalla migrant camp when Janis was assigned a job at Renold's chains.

Gerda remembers the Lutheran Priest only visiting the camp occasionally. " I remember that all the older women, all the grandmothers, cried when he did."

The Sleinis family stayed at the camp three years, from 1949 and 1952, until they had saved to build their own home in Union Street.

Below is an extract from a 2016 media release written by Sabine Smyth about donating migrant camp history books to Benalla College:

“According to Gerda, Benalla brought her parents much happiness after the ravages of war and being displaced. The camp is where their new lives began, and during the three years they lived there they made many lifelong friends. Milda Sleinis lived to 99 years of age and only passed away last year (2015). “


Gerda was pleased that she was able to be part of the formal hand-over of two books about the history of the Benalla Migrant Camp written by well-known Bonegilla historian Dr Bruce Pennay OAM to Benalla P12 College. “Firstly this is significant because the history of the camp should be part of our young people’s learning of local history but also, I was very pleased to be there because of mum’s personal connection to this wonderful school.”