The Benalla Aerodrome School SS 4651 opened on 16th November 1949 to cater for the children of migrants living at the Benalla Migrant Accommodation Centre. The Department of Immigration (who managed the camp) provided four huts to the Department of Education, one to be used as a dwelling for the head teacher and the other three, each partitioned, for classrooms.
Assistant teachers had single rooms and their meals were provided with the camp administrative staff. The enrolment as at 9th July 1951 was 174 pupils. An additional army hut was added the same year. On 11th September 1963 Benalla East Primary School began to cater for the children of SS4651 and the camp formally closed.
Please also look at the photos taken by June Cracknell (later Humphries), a teacher at Benalla Migrant Camp 1956-1959.